Saturday, May 22, 2010

Nippin' Out at VS

Okay now that I have your attention . . .
Are you wondering what the hell you are looking at here? Well I sure was when I was in Victoria's Secret after work yesterday and came upon this scary sight on the shelf. When asked about it, the sales girl rolled her eyes and said they had just gotten them in. Um, hold on. Back the lingerie truck up please. VS is serious with this? I just had to snap a quick picture with my phone when no one was looking.

Women have tried everything for years and years just to cover these suckers up. Lined bras, padded bras, breast petals, even band-aids. (yes, I had a friend in high school whose Mom did that) Not to mention women being taken seriously in the workplace among their male counterparts who get distracted by even the slightly slitted skirt, or gapping button. Is VS attempting to reverse all that we have worked for in terms of being seen by men as more than just sexual objects? Can you seriously see a woman wearing this - where?? A night on the town with the girls? The attention it would gain you would not be the kinds of men you want to date anyway. Church on Sunday?? I'm pretty sure nippin' out in God's house is frowned upon. Monday morning staff meeting?? CEO: "We had a hard second quarter, err, I mean, strong. And we saw a pointed rise in revenues when we released our headlights - I mean - headquarter's earnings." Moreover, whose boyfriend or husband would want their woman to actually wear this? Sure, they might find the sight sexy as you flit around the house in it, but they sure as hell won't feel comfortable about you wearing it on girl's night out. And rightly so.

No, we know WHO this bra is made for, and it's not for women, or even their boyfriends and husbands. It's for the OTHER men. You know the ones. And that is just not a healthy way to project yourself, to those other men, and to the world in general. It's VS saying "Go ahead, exaggerate this intimate part of you and use it to your advantage! Screw the message it gives young girls!" Not cool VS, not cool.

So by this rationale, shouldn't we soon see jeans in Abercrombie & Fitch that have built-in bulges? I mean, really - if we are taking away the mystery, putting it all out there, and emphasizing sexuality over all else, why not?

Would love to hear your thoughts.

7 comments:

  1. Right on Katie, I agree whole heartily with you!Aunt Suzi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still am laughing...I can't believe this is for real. I bet they will find a lot of this a good will...since VS won't be able to sell any they will have to donate them. HAHAHA still laughing at how ridiculous is. Or they could donate them to all the strippers stores here in Vegas. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Am I the only guy out there feeling the tiger's claws a little bit in this blog post? It seems ironic to me that men immediately are responsible for any article of clothing that is deemed unacceptable, for whatever reason. This is no different than a push up bra, a padded bra, a gel bra, or any other type of bra that makes you appear something that you are not naturally. But you never hear anything about those anymore because they are the social norm now. They are all false advertisement of your body, of which you choose to portray or not. Don’t blame us for all these whacky contraptions that VS comes up with, just let us live in peace, love, happiness and bacon.
    ETB (embrace the bacon)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's all funny until someone gets a nipple in the eye.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wait, wait, did I just say 'POINTS'?!! There was no pun intended, consciously!
    And to: anonymous#2 - you are right. nipple in the eye is nothing to mess around with.
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sign me up for the pants with a buldge. I need all the help I can get... ;)

    ReplyDelete

Let's Hear It!