Saturday, May 1, 2010

Sight

Note: The paragraphs from my book will always have a one-word Title in the post.

My brain recognized sunlight immediately, and yet I did not feel the need to squint. Directly in front of my eyes stood something I wasn’t prepared for. A large brown horse. A horse so large that its head towered over me so that I could see up its enormous nostrils. I had never seen a horse so big and intimidating. My first thought was that this must be heaven. Was this a chariot of sorts? The horse exhaled loudly into my face and stamped a hoof, and I took a step backward. Or at least, it seemed like I did, but I did not feel my body move. Instinctively I tried to look down at my legs but I found I could not move my head. I felt the same as I did lying the hospital bed except now I was standing upright and somewhere in a sunlight field with Mr. Ed. I was thoroughly confused and willing myself not to panic since it seemed that I had just died and wherever I was had to be better than imprisoned in the dark in a hospital bed. Suddenly a voice behind me said,

“Oh for heaven’s sake Jenny – he won’t hurt you!” the voice must have kicked my brain into working my legs because I turned around to face the voice. A middle-aged woman stood near me, her thick red hair was secured in a low pony tail under her cowboy hat. She was very tall – unusually so, just like the horse. At my 6’0 height I had never felt so short in my life. I didn’t recognize this woman, nor did I recognize the landscape around me. I was also trying to make sense of the fact that she had just called me Jenny, and then I heard my response to the woman.

“Mom, I just don’t want to yet.” I mumbled quietly. Only it wasn’t me who spoke.

2 comments:

  1. Another great teaser, keep them coming! Love the new look of your blog btw.
    ETB (embrace the bacon)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting writing. Makes the reader have to wrap their minds around the words, phrases and structure. Seems like a book for the more contemplative reader and less for the casual reader

    ReplyDelete

Let's Hear It!